Curwen J.F. (1930) The Ancient Parish of Heversham
with Milnthorpe including the hamlets of Leasgill, Ackenthwaite and Rowell.
Kendal; Titus Wilson
book is very much a seminal work on the history of Heversham and the surrounding
area. Subsequent publications on Heversham often draw heavily from this source.
book begins as follows –
ancient manor of Heversham was subdivided, about the year 1090, by the grant of
the church and one-third of the lands to the newly founded Abbey of St. Mary at
York. Some two-thirds remained with
the Barony of Kendale until it was given, about the year 1160, by William de
Lancaster as a marriage portion with his daughter Agnes, to Alexander de
Wyndesore. The former moiety became known as the Rectory Manor and the caput or
chief house was Heversham Hall; while that of the latter was the Court or Manor
House in Milnthorpe - the village built up beside the ancient mill.
Rectory manor and demesne of Heversham Hall remained with the Abbey until the
Dissolution when the Crown sold it, in 1558, to Edmund Moyses, Richard Buskill
and Richard Foster. Buskill soon bought out his partners and on 8 August, 1582,
settled the manor upon the issue of his son Thomas's marriage with Frances a
daughter of Jasper Cholmley. Thomas died in the lifetime of his father, at
whose, the father's death in 1602, Jasper son of the said Thomas then a lad of
fifteen years was found to be the heir of his grandfather Richard. In 1613
Jasper Buskill conveyed this Rectory manor with Heversham Hall to Edward Wilson
of Nether Levens, in whose posterity it has descended with the Dallam Tower
Wyndesore manor descended through five generations to a coheiress, Marjoire, who
married John Ducket. Her trustees sold it in 1398 to Ralph, earl of Westmorland,
who granted it to his third son George Nevil,
His descendant John Nevil, lord Latimer, died in 1577 without male issue
but he left four daughters, This Heversham estate fell to the pourparty of
Dorothy who married Thomas Cecil, 1st Earl of Exeter, and in 1583 they conveyed
the manor to Thomas Bradley of Arnside. In 1597, William Bradley conveyed it to
James Bellingham of Over Levens, since whose time it has descended like the
manor of Levens.
John F. Curwen/Titus Wilson